Powerhouse Veggie Burgers
Grilling meats leads to the production of carcinogens (yuck), but grilling vegetables does not create carcinogenic compounds. So, this summer try loading up the grill with this veggie-filled alternative.
Power House Veggie Burger Recipe
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Sweet Onion (finely diced)
2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
1 Carrot (grated)
1 Zucchini (grated)
2 cups Green Lentils (cooked, drained and rinsed)
1 cup Sunflower Seeds
1 tsp Turmeric
1/4 cup Tamari
3/4 cup Almond Flour
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the carrot and zucchini and saute for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor combine lentils, sunflower seeds, turmeric and tamari. Blend until smooth and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Transfer the cooked veggies to the mixing bowl and add your almond flour. Mix well with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into even patties and transfer onto the baking sheet. (Note: If the dough is too wet, you may need to adjust the amount of almond flour or let it sit in the fridge for 10 - 20 minutes so it will firm up.)
- If grilling, heat the grill at this time and brush the grill surface with oil to ease cooking. Grill about 5 minutes per side, or until browned. (Note: you can also bake in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through).
- Remove burgers from the grill. Serve on a bed of greens or in a lettuce wrap with your burger toppings of choice. Enjoy!