Pregnancy Superfood Salad
This plant based twist on a "meat and cheese" combo.
It is well known that cured meats and unprocessed cheese are pregnancy DON'Ts but just because you are pregnant does not mean you need to miss out on your favorite flavor combinations. It simply means you need to get creative. Pregnancy can be a great time to add new foods to your traditional diet. This salad recipe replaces meat and cheese with some interesting, new plant-based alternatives. Not only is this salad #pregnancysafe but it also is bursting with #superfood nutrition. Brussel sprouts and pumpkin seeds provide a healthy source of plant based omega-3s, which are essential for fetal brain development. While figs are rich is Vitamin C, folate and potassium which can help support healthy blood pressure levels.
- 2 cups of brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1/2 cup of Hellenic Farms fig salami, sliced
- 1/2 cup of Kite Hill (dairy free) ricotta
- 2 tbsp of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or white balsamic
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- Mix the oil, lemon juice honey salt and pepper until fully emulsified.
- Massage dressing into brussel sprouts and place in fridge for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Before serving, top brussel sprouts with sliced fig salami, ricotta and pumpkin seeds.